Sending letters to Santa this Christmas? Use your Gratnells tray to make your own postbox for your classroom this festive season. Don’t forget to share your pics on Twitter and Instagram using #WhatsInMyTray!
You will be able to:
- send a special hand written letter to Santa
You will need (per group)
- 1 x Shallow (F1) Gratnells tray for the postbox
- 1 x Shallow (F1) Gratnells tray with an insert to organise your resources
- Red card
- Brown or gold card
- Cotton wool balls
- Black felt
- Your letters to Santa!
What to do:
- Organise your resources into a Gratnells tray insert.
- Cut some red card to size so that it fits across the front of your F1 tray.
- Cut a window in your red card big enough to fit your letters and cards to Santa through.
- Tape your red card to the rim of the tray so that the space in the tray can catch the posted letters.
- Glue some cotton wool balls around the window of your letterbox.
- Cut two pieces of black felt to make Santa’s belt – these should be slightly shorter than half of the width of the tray. Glue these into place leaving a small space in the middle.
- Cut a rectangle belt buckle from some gold or brown card and glue into place in the gap in between the belt straps.
- Spot some glue on the red card and stick on some sequins to give the postbox some festive decoration.
- Tape some tinsel around the rim of the tray.
- Stand your tray somewhere in the class where it can rest on a wall or can be safety secured to a wall or surface.
- Spend some time writing letters to Santa or Christmas cards to your friends and post in the postbox ready to be shared before the Winter break.
Other things to try…
- Could you make a reindeer or an elf instead?
- Share photographs of your Christmas fun on social media using #WhatsInMyTray.
EYFS- Development Matters- Understanding the world- Festivals and Cultural Celebrations.
Key Stage 1– R.E- Festivals
Health & Safety
As with all Gratnells Learning Rooms What’s In My Tray activities, you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any of the activities or demonstrations.