This is a great idea for a #WhatsInMyTray using household items and craft materials. The finished colourful necklaces make great gifts for family members or are a great way to decorate your classroom.
You will be able to:
- use fine motor skills to thread objects onto a piece of string.
You will need (per group)
- 1 x shallow Gratnells Tray (F1)
- 1 x Gratnells mini tray
- Uncooked penne pasta
- Different coloured paints
What to do:
- Fill a Shallow (F1) tray with uncooked penne pasta.
- Add colour to your dried pasta– we hand painted ours but you could also squirt some paint into a sandwich bag with some pasta and swirl it around until it’s all covered.
- Leave your painted pasta in the tray overnight until it is dried.
- Piece by piece, feed the pasta onto the string to create your pasta jewellery!
This is a simple way to keep little hands occupied which keeping the mess inside a single tray. Get creative and don’t forget to share your pictures using the #WhatsInMyTray hashtag.
Other things to try…
- Try using glitter paints to decorate your pasta.
- Share photographs of your artistic creations on social media using #WhatsInMyTray.
EYFS– Development Matters: Expressive arts and design: Exploring and using media and materials- To provide a wide range of materials, resources and sensory experiences to enable children to explore colour, texture and space.
EYFS– Development Matters: Expressive arts and design: Exploring and using media and materials- To provide resources for mixing colours, joining things together and combining materials, demonstrating where appropriate.
Health and Safety
As with all Gratnells What’s In My Tray activities, you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any activities with children.