Build a snowman and watch it melt, all from the comfort of your classroom.
You will be able to:
- create an artistic Christmas painting.
You will need (per group)
- 2 x F1 Gratnells trays
- Gratnells insert to organise resources (buttons, googly eyes, tinsel, pipe cleaners, etc.)
- Coloured paper
- White paint
- Googly eyes
- Buttons (we used ones from EDX Education)
What to do:
- First, squirt two spots of white paint onto a piece of paper in the tray.
- Use straws to blow the paint out and make it look like melted snow.
- Decorate your snowman with googly eyes and buttons, or give it a nose and scarf.
- Be sure to hold your painting up so that the paint begins to move down and your snowman looks like its melting.
- As there is a lot of paint on the paper, these pieces may take longer than usual to dry. Make sure you leave them to try on a flat surface, rather than upright, to avoid paint dripping.
As always, art projects in Gratnells trays minimise mess and give each child or small group a smaller, more personal work station.
Other things to try…
- Time how long it takes for the snowman to melt- maybe make it a competition.
- Share photographs of your Christmas creations on social media using #WhatsInMyTray.
EYFS– Development Matters-Expressive arts and design: Exploring and using media and materials- To provide a wide range of materials, resources and sensory experiences to enable children to explore colour, texture and space.
Year 1- Primary National Curriculum- Art- To use a range of materials creatively to design and make products.
Health & Safety
As with all Gratnells Learning Rooms What’s In My Tray activities, you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any of the activities or demonstrations.