Let’s go digging
Phonics is a key area of learning in Key Stage 1 and therefore should be made to be an enjoyable learning experience for the children. These phonics activities are tactile and sensory to give the children a new way of learning.
You will be able to:
- decode and read words with the ‘ai’ phoneme
You will need (per class)
- 1 x shallow Gratnells Tray (F1) with a lid
- 2 x Spades
- Printed and laminated words with the ‘ai’ phoneme.
- Choose the selection of ‘ai’ words.
- Print, laminate and cut out the words.
- Fill the tray with mud and place the words inside.
What to do:
- Ensure that all the words are covered by the mud.
- Explain to the children that they need to find the words.
- When they find one, they need to read the word correctly.
- After the child has read the word, they put it to one side.
- The child with the most correctly read words at the end is the winner.
Other things to try…
- How many words can the children remember with the ‘ai’ sound?
- Add in some ‘alien’ words with the ‘ai’ sound, for the children to sort.
- Share photographs of your phonics fun on social media using #WhatsInMyTray.
Health & Safety
As with all Gratnells Learning Rooms What’s In My Tray activities, you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any of the activities or demonstrations.