Hidden words in the clouds
Phonics is a key area of learning in Key Stage 1 and therefore should be made to be an enjoyable learning experience for the children. These phonics activities are tactile and sensory to give the children a new way of learning.
You will be able to:
- decode and read words with the ‘oi’ and ‘oy’ phonemes.
You will need (per class)
- 1 x shallow Gratnells Tray (F1) with a lid
- Cotton Wool balls (enough to fill the tray)
- Selection of oi/oy words on clouds
- Type up/choose the selection words to focus on with the ‘oi/oy’ phonemes.
- Print, laminate and cut out the word clouds.
- Fill the F1 tray with cotton wool balls.
What to do:
- Ensure the words are hidden amongst the cotton wool balls.
- Explain to the children that they need to find a word and decode and read it aloud.
- After the child has read the word, they put it to one side.
- The child with the most correctly read words at the end is the winner.
Other things to try…
- How many words can the children remember?
- Add in some ‘alien’ words, for the children to sort.
- Sort the words into the different oi/oy phoneme groups.
- Put the words into sentences.
- Share photographs of your phonics fun on social media using #WhatsInMyTray.
Health & Safety
As with all Gratnells Learning Rooms What’s In My Tray activities, you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any of the activities or demonstrations.