Fossils with AmazeLab
Gratnells has partnered with AmazeLab to create an exclusive collection of #WhatsInMyTray activities.
Create your own fossils in a Gratnells tray using play doh and plaster of Paris.
- Gratnells F1 tray
- Toy dinosaur
- Play doh
- Plaster of Paris
What to do:
- Take your play doh out of the tub creating a well shape
- Using your dinosaur toy imprint this into the play doh
- Mix your plaster of Paris and water in the jug using the spoon (ratios will be dependent on the make you are using, please follow instructions on the packet)
- Pour your plaster of Paris solution into the play doh
- Leave to set
- Carefully remove the now fossil from the play doh
- Would you be able to make fossils/casts of other plants and animals?
- Investigate the time it takes to set, depending on the temperature of water.
- Are you able to link this investigation to change of state? What happens to your casting material?
- How are fossils made in the ‘real world’?
Curriculum Area: Science
Topic: working scientifically, plants, everyday materials, living things and their habitats, states of matter, properties and changes of materials
Age- group: EYFS/KS1/KS2