Get creative with 2D and 3D shapes and decorate your Christmas tree using Edx Education resources you may already have in your classroom.
You will be able to:
- create your own Christmas decoration using a skeletal geo set.
You will need:
- 1 x Shallow (F1) Gratnells Tray
- 1 x 4×4 Gratnells tray insert
- EDX Education Skeletal Geo Set
- A Christmas tree
- Some string
What to do:
- Using your EDX Education Skeletal Geo Set, create some different shapes. You can use the cards within the pack for extra support and ideas.
- Once you have made some different shapes, attach some string to them and tie a loop.
- Hang them from your class or school Christmas tree
Other things to try…
- Can you make a star for the top of the tree?
- Link with maths learning by making different 3D shapes. Describe the properties of the shapes.
- Share photographs of your Christmas fun on social media using #WhatsInMyTray.
Key Stage 1- Primary National Curriculum -Maths- Geometry- identify and describe the properties of 2-D shapes, including the number of sides and line symmetry in a vertical line.
Key Stage 1- Primary National Curriculum -Maths- Geometry – identify and describe the properties of 3-D shapes, including the number of edges, vertices and faces.
Key Stage 1- Primary National Curriculum -Maths- Geometry – identify 2-D shapes on the surface of 3-D shapes, [for example, a circle on a cylinder and a triangle on a pyramid].
Key Stage 1- Primary National Curriculum -Maths- Geometry – compare and sort common 2-D and 3-D shapes and everyday objects.
Health & Safety
As with all Gratnells Learning Rooms What’s In My Tray activities, you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any of the activities or demonstrations.