Autumn letter hunt
Make the most of the fallen leaves and conkers outside with this Autumn inspired literacy task. Head outside with your class to collect the leaves and conkers before adding letters to both and creating a letter hunt and match for your class.
You will be able to:
- Identify and match lower-case letters to upper-case
You will need (per group)
- 1 x Shallow Gratnells (F1) tray with lid
- 1 x Marker pen
- Fallen leaves
- Fallen conkers
- Head outside with your class to collect fallen leaves and conkers in a Shallow Gratnells (F1) tray
- Collect enough leaves and conkers to fill multiple trays, dependent on weather this will be an individual or group task
- Either back in the classroom or outside, write the same letter on both a conker and a leaf before placing them back in the tray. Repeat this with multiple letters until you have plenty covered with letters, but still some plain.
What to do:
- Using hands or tweezers, pick out leaves first attempting to find the first with a letter on it.
- Set the leaf aside and hunt through the tray for the matching letter on a conker.
- Once a matching pair is found, set them both aside and move on to hunt for the remaining letters.
Other things to try…
- Try pulling out multiple letters to see if words can be created – similar to Countdown
- Share photographs of your letter matching and word making on social media using #WhatsInMyTray.
Health & Safety
As with all Gratnells Learning Rooms What’s In My Tray Activities, you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any of the activities or demonstrations.