Springtime is the perfect time to get outside with your class and enjoy a spot of outdoor planting. This What’s in my tray? activity keeps the class working in their trays, but gets them outside enjoying the sunny weather.
You will need…
- A range of different Gratnells trays in bright colours
- Flowers, plants or seeds from the local garden centre
- Watering cans and water
What to do…
- Head outside with your class with a selection of different sized and coloured Gratnells trays
- Fill each tray with a layer of compost
- If you already have flowers that have started to grow, create a small well in the compost big enough to fit the flower/plants and it’s roots. Fill in the gaps around the bottom of the flower with the compost in the tray
- If you are planting seeds or bulbs, sprinkle these over the top of the compost and press them into the soil gently so they don’t sink down too far
- Water the trays with a sprinkling of water and leave the flowers to grow!
Health and Safety
As with all Gratnells Learning Rooms What’s In My Tray activities you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any of the activities with children.