Hand-painted snowman baubles
Get crafty with your class this festive season and hand paint some baubles! They make perfect personal gifts for friends and family of the children or are a great way to decorate your classroom with cute keepsakes. We made snowmen but, for a challenge, you could try Santa Claus and his reindeer.
You will be able to:
- design a Christmas decoration.
You will need (per person)
- 2 x Shallow (F1) Gratnells Trays – one with a 2×2 inserts for organising equipment and isolating paint
- A range of baubles – large enough for the children to print their hands on
- White paint
- Felt tip pens
- Pom poms
- Black felt
- PVA glue
- Optional for Santa Claus or reindeer:
- Red paint
- Red felt
- Cotton wool
- Googly eyes
- Brown paint
- Red pom poms
- Cardboard antlers
What to do:
- First, separate all the materials into the different sections of a Gratnells insert and fill another tray with the different baubles.
- Cut some snowman hats out of felt and put them into the insert.
- Select a bauble and set it aside.
- Dip your hand into the section with white paint and place around the bauble allowing the paint to transfer. Ensure your fingers are widely spread as you’ll be making them into snowmen soon.
- Sprinkle some glitter over the went paint and hang to dry.
- Once the paint is dry, decorate your snowmen adding faces, hats and scarves.
- Finally, hang the baubles to dry and when they’re set, you can hang them on your tree!
Other things to try…
- Try making a Santa Claus or a reindeer.
- Share photographs of your Christmas creations on social media using #WhatsInMyTray.
Key Stage 1- Primary National Curriculum– Art- To use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination.
Key Stage 1- Primary National Curriculum– Art- To develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space.
Health & Safety
As with all Gratnells Learning Rooms What’s In My Tray activities, you should carry out your own risk assessment prior to undertaking any of the activities or demonstrations.